Monday, September 24, 2012

Fall How to: Take Your Summer Dress to Fall

I bought a little black dress from TJMaxx this summer. It is an empire waist and to the knee. I love it because it is the perfect blank canvas for me to build on and incredibly comfortable to wear. I love this dress so much I didn't want to give it up now the weather is turning colder. Here are the steps I took to take my wonderful dress from summer to fall:

1. I choose a black chiffon blouse to wear underneath because I have to wear black to work. However, in my perfect world I would have chosen my blush colored chiffon blouse because it would have added a bit more color. Needless to say you need to find a lightweight blouse to wear under your dress. This works best if you have a dress with tank style sleeves.

2. Choose a patterned tight. If you go with a monochromatic look like I did choose a patterned tight with either nice texture or a bold pattern. You don't want to look like a walking black, blob so it's important to add a bit of dimension here.

3. A great just under the knee boot. I bought these riding boots earlier in the year and I LOVE them. They have a band of cognac along the top which makes them very lux looking. My boots have no heel because it's easier for me to move around in them if they are a flat.

4. The final step is the most fun! Accessorize! Since both my blouse and my dress are black I knew I needed to step it up a bit with the jewelry. I had several silver necklaces that I decided to layer together to make a statement piece. If you're tight on a budget and can't afford a statement necklace, purchasing lots of single strand necklaces can work just as well. Simply layer them together, looping some around your neck and leaving others long. I tried to choose necklaces that varied a bit in order to give the finished look dimension. And finally I layered silver bracelets as well, a simple silver bangle, my Tiffany bracelet and a silver watch completed my look.

I'm very pleased with my finished look. Not only is it warm, it's also incredibly comfortable! 


No comments:

Post a Comment